Monday, May 23, 2011

A Journey in Thanks

So...it's been over 2 years since I updated our family blog. Life just happens and I had a hard time making it a priority to blog each of our milestones and adventures. The most time-consuming was editing and uploading pictures...and I got further and further behind...and it looked more and more like a task I didn't want to tackle. And, the paragraph breaks never show up like I want them to. I admit it - I'm a perfectionist. I want things in order and I want them to look good and make sense. Couple that with my desire to keep anonymity (especially of our kids' names and where we live) - it was just too much. I have 3 kids. I'm busy.

But I also have blog envy. I love when families keep their blogs up to date and share with loved ones what is going on in their world. I have a couple of friends who are just ON IT when it comes to blogging. And my sis-in-law updates my nephew's milestones once a month. I always dig that.

I have always had the intention of keeping a sort of journal or log of our family happenings for our kids to read later in life. I document events quite well with photographs, but I like to tell the stories behind the photographs, too. I'm in the process of documenting our family with a Storybook (basically a hardcover, printed book), complete with A LOT of photographs (I am snap happy, for sure!). I'm going to "journal" about each event...so I might as well do it here.

So, here I go again. A new blog name. A fresh start. And I do hope I'll keep up with it, at least for awhile. We have SO MUCH going on in our world right now. So much I want to remember. So much I want to capture for our kids to enjoy reading later in life. I'll just try not to get caught up in having to have pictures on each entry...I'll just do that when I can. And I'll try to not let the paragraph breaks eat up too much of my energy...

As for the blog name: Our Life of Thanks. One of my newest and dearest friends introduced me to a beautiful book entitled One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. It's written by Ann Voskamp, a mother of 6 children. The book has the power to be perspective-changing and life-changing...if you let it. It has challenged me to find joy in the midst of everyday, sometimes overwhelming life. From the cover: "How," Voskamp wondered, "do we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties? What does a life of gratitude look like when your days are gritty, long, and sometimes dark? What is God providing in the here and now?" (You can find out more here: http://onethousandgifts.com/ and http://www.aholyexperience.com/one-thousand-gifts-book/)

I have always held this to be true: God is still God, no matter what is going on in your life. I know it to be true. If you ask me, I will tell you I believe it firmly. BUT, am I thankful in each moment? If I were to take a step back from each situation, I'll find the thanks and the joy...if I take a step back. That's the key, I suppose...to be conscious in each moment, fully aware of each little gift in each little moment that He provides. He's there. He always there. Do you see Him? Do you hear Him? Feel Him? Thank Him?

The book has reminded me to look for the little Love Notes from my Savior that are woven through each day. It has reminded me to be more thankful, more aware. I am blessed beyond measure...my cup runneth over. Now to have my THANKS echo and match each blessing. I choose to live each day searching for the gifts He provides. They are too numerous to count them all...but I can start counting and continue to count until He calls me Home.

Our Life of Thanks. Each day filled with gifts. Each day a Savior deserving to be shown gratitude and acknowledgment of those gifts. May I not forget to count them and give thanks...if even just by the warming of my heart and a nod of affirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment