We closed escrow on our new home on November 10th. The work started right away, and we were scheduled to move in on November 19th, after having the entire interior painted and the carpet completely replaced.
During the process of finding our home (after offers on other properties, too), I had envisioned some sort of dedication and prayer service, to give thanks to God for His provision and offer our house to Him and His purposes.
I originally pictured the house being surrounded by those we love holding hands in a large circle around the perimeter. Well, that wasn't going to work for this house...there was some junk on the side-yard, bushes, mud, etc. The house has an awesome driveway, so then I morphed my idea to us meeting in the driveway with an array of desserts and drinks. And then time got away from me and we were too busy getting things arranged here and there...and I didn't get the word out soon enough to give proper notice. So, it became a small gathering on the driveway with some of those we hold dear, with some store-bought cookies and napkins :o)
On November 13th we gathered in our driveway, held hands, prayed, ate cookies and placed rocks in our jar.
I thought of some sort of symbol to remember the dedication of our home; something tangible to be displayed at our home to remember His faithfulness, provision, and all of the prayers said on our behalf. I got a simple apothecary jar and some stones. Each person at the dedication placed a rock/stone (or many many stones for the little ones there!) to symbolize the prayers they have said for us. For one, the rocks look cool. For another, I found some verses to go along with rocks, most notably this one: The wise man built his house upon the ROCK.
It was so moving to have those close to us come pray with us, holding hands, in our new driveway. And now we have our awesome jar to put on our mantle as a symbol of it all. AWESOME.
By the way, I also envisioned myself taking some cool, artsy pictures of us all holding hands and of the rocks being added to the jar...but the prayer time was so special and intimate, I didn't want to break away to take pictures in the middle! And I just snapped a few quick ones of the rocks :o) It's all in my head though...and it looks beautiful in my memories! :o) We even forgot our family photo...
| The jar, bags of stones, and verses having to do with Christ being our ROCK and foundation. |
| The verses...sideways...for now... |
| Being filled... |
| More prayers represented... |
| Baby Girl's prayers...the kids loved filling the jar! |
| Still filling the jar...and eating cookies...and never-mind what the oldest seems to be doing... |
Unfortunately, I have yet to take a picture of the finished jar! I will do that once we place it on the mantle after the holidays (we currently have our garland and stockings on the mantle instead). Can't wait to put it on there and decorate around it!
Here is the email I sent out and the specific prayers requested:
We are going to do an informal prayer and dedication gathering at our new house this Sunday at 3:00. If you'd like to join us, we would love to have you pray over the house with us and dedicate it to the Lord.
The inside of the house is in complete construction mode, so it wouldn't be wise to give tours of it. The kiddos, especially, should not go into the house at all. There are ladders, paint buckets and equipment, drapes, and most notably, strips of exposed carpet tacks throughout the entire house (carpet got taken away today and the new stuff comes in on Thursday). If you'd rather wait to come over when we can actually invite you in and show you around, we understand! We would just love to pray over the house before all the work and moving is done.
Items of prayer:
That the house would be a house full of love for our Savior and those who occupy it would live in a manner pleasing to Him.
That the house would be a house where all are welcome and feel at home while they are there.
For the safety of the workers (including us) as they prepare the house for our arrival.
For the safety of all the moving help - no major injuries.
For our kids to not fall down the stairs - ever - and injure themselves.
That the house would always be free from intruders, fire, and major weather damage.
That we would be a light to our neighbors who are in need of Light.
That we could partner with our neighbors who are already believers to canvas the neighborhood in prayer and genuine fellowship.
For the family that lost the house to foreclosure - that they would be able to get on their feet financially, and for their salvation if they don't yet know the Lord.
Items of praise:
For this amazing house to which He led us and the patience we had in waiting for Him to reveal it to us.
For the resources He has given us to make it possible.
That our other house sold within a week.
That we have never doubted His hand in this journey.
For the laughter and love we know will fill those rooms!
For the personable neighbors we have already met (the first one I met said, "Praise God!" when she found out we were moving in - so cool!).
I'm sure there are other things that will come to mind...but that's our starting point :o)
Thanks for your role in our lives and the prayers that have already been prayed for us in this process!
No comments:
Post a Comment