I was passing by the boys' school this morning (with the two little ones in the van) when I realized the oldest one would be at recess right then. I've never checked in on him at recess - I thought it would be fun to try to spot him.
As I pulled into the parking lot, I thought to myself, "Yeah, right, I'm going to find him when 75% of the kids are wearing the same color shirt today!" It's Friday. Spirit Wear day.
Not only that, but he could be anywhere on that playground. Blacktop playing 4-Square. Slide. Bathroom. Drinking fountain in the shade. Running around crazy. I thought I'd try anyway.
Right as I pulled it, you know what? He was the first kid I saw!! My heart jumped up in excitement. It seems silly, but it was a special treat for me to see my boy at a time I wouldn't ordinarily. I didn't know it would make me so happy - but boy did it ever.
I shouted his name. He didn't hear me. He started to run in the opposite direction. Oh well. It was worth a shot.
Then he started coming back toward my direction, then turned again. I yelled his name. He stopped. He didn't look around. Just stopped. I yelled it again. You could tell he was processing, but he wasn't looking around! He finally looked toward me and I waved (still from the van). His face just lit up! Ear to ear grin. He started running toward me, waving, smiling. He stopped about 10 feet from the fence or so. I started asking him about his morning, then I think he realized he could be super close to me if he went all the way to the fence.
We chatted for just a moment, then I sent him on his way. But as I was driving, he decided to race me from the other side of the fence. So, I drove slow and he raced me to the end. All smiles.
I didn't know we needed that moment together, but we did. And I'm so glad God arranged that for us.
When I picked him up from school I asked what he thought about us seeing each other at recess and he just said, "Awesome!" I'm glad he thought so, too.
Thank you, Lord, for those simple little things. You lead us to them when we don't even know we need them! What an amazing pick-me-up that was today for me and my boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment